What are two things you could always use more of in a kitchen? If you answered counter space and additional storage, you are not alone. The good news is there is one easy way to get both — by bringing an island into your kitchen. Along with giving you greater functionality, it can also add to your kitchen’s overall aesthetic. Don’t have the time or budget for a built-in? No problem, here we share our favorite ready-to-order picks for kitchen islands.
Before you order, there are a few things to think about. It goes without saying the first step is to measure the space you have to ensure the island you select will work in the dimensions. You will also want to consider what will complement what you already have in the kitchen. Is your style modern? Rustic? Traditional? Do you want it to blend in with the cabinets or stand out?
Another important thing to consider is what storage will work best for you and your specific needs. What items will be placed in or on the island? Do you want them exposed or hidden away? For example, a collection of attractive pottery bowls and a few simple cookbooks may look nice on open shelving, but a hodgepodge of measuring cups and mixing bowls may be better kept out of sight.
- Available in black, white, and mint
- Features two drawers, a sliding door cabinet with an adjustable shelf, and two towel bars
- Contemporary design with a hint of a retro feel
The Belmont Kitchen Island from Crate and Barrel offers classic styling and comes in white, black, or a fun mint color. It is perfect if you are looking for closed storage and offers two large shelves inside. The butcher block top even has a drop-leaf section, which offers additional workspace, or you can place two stools underneath for an eating area. Rolling canisters and feet are included, and bars on each side keep kitchen towels within reach.
- Great for small kitchens
- Features open shelving and space for two stools
- Has clean lines and a simple aesthetic
There is a lot to love about the Frame Kitchen Console from West Elm. It features clean lines, a fresh white iron frame, and a sleek marble top. Underneath, half the space is shelving, and the other half offers the perfect spot to tuck two stools in.
- Features four drawers, two open shelves and wine racks for 12 bottles
- Made from solid recycled pine wood
- Great for a rustic kitchen
What if you want to go big? The Tulelake Kitchen Island from Pottery Barn will be the anchor piece in your kitchen. It has an Americana-inspired design with turned legs and rustic wood details. It features a large counter space, four drawers, two open shelves, and wine storage for 12 bottles.
No matter your design style or the size of your kitchen, there’s a kitchen island that fits your needs. Think about your space, your cooking habits, and your aesthetic — and then find the perfect match. It’ll make cooking prep easier and help transform your kitchen into a homey, livable space.
- What’s the best paint for a kitchen table? What you need to know
- Bored of your kitchen countertops? Change the color and refresh the whole room
- Good, better, best: Leaf blowers that are worth the price
- 5 washable paint brands perfect for your kitchen walls
- 4 affordable home dry cleaning kits that actually work