If the old adage is to be believed, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But on busy mornings, who has time to make a breakfast that’s not only satisfying and healthy, but tasty, too? More often than not, breakfast ends up being filled with empty calories, high-sugar cereals, or something grabbed on the go at your local coffee shop. But it doesn’t have to be that way.
We’ve pulled together some great-tasting breakfast ideas that are easy enough to make on a busy weekday but special enough to serve for Sunday brunch. Some you can make ahead to save time on hectic mornings, others whip up in a matter of minutes, but all of them are a great way to kick off your day!
Have you been looking for some quick ways to make breakfast or wondering how to put together a brunch menu that will wow your guests? We have recipes that prove brunch menus don’t have to be complicated and breakfast can be your favorite meal of the day. And the best part? These easy recipes use simple ingredients but still pack a flavorful punch.
What is a good breakfast?
A good breakfast is one that not only tastes great but refuels your body and helps to kick-start your day. A healthy and satisfying breakfast should include one or more of the following:
- Whole grains: Whole-grain English muffins, rolls, bagels, and waffles, or hot or cold whole-grain cereals
- Lean protein: Eggs, lean meat, or nuts
- Low-fat dairy: Low-fat or skim milk, plain or low-sugar yogurt, and low-fat cheeses including cottage cheese
- Fruits and vegetables: Fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables, as well as fresh fruit juices (no added sugar), and fruit and vegetable smoothies
6 easy breakfast recipes with simple ingredients
Breakfast egg muffins
This breakfast favorite is easy to prep and customize with whatever ingredients you like and have on hand. Bake scrambled eggs in muffin tin cups loaded with your favorite vegetables, cheese, and seasoning. After baking, you can refrigerate or freeze them to take for breakfast on the go or for healthy snacking anytime. You can switch out ingredients based on your taste preferences, or stick with the ingredients in the recipe:
- Oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- Frozen spinach
- Cottage cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Jarred roasted red peppers or sun-dried tomatoes
Sausage and crescent roll casserole
If you’re looking for convenience and taste, this breakfast casserole recipe can be made the night before you’re planning on serving it. Made with crescent roll dough and breakfast sausages (switch it up with spicy or mild Italian sausage for an unexpected flavor twist), you can prepare it the night before and refrigerate it, unbaked, until you’re ready to pop it in the oven.
Rise and shine parfait
So easy to make, this dish requires simply layering half the yogurt into a parfait glass, adding your favorite seasonal fruits, topping with granola, and then repeating the layers.
Fiber-filled breakfast burrito
By simply swapping out white tortillas with whole wheat ones, and replacing pork sausage with lean turkey or chicken sausage, you can cut calories and increase the nutrition (and the taste) of this filling breakfast burrito. Toss in some avocado slices and fiber-rich beans to really up the nutrient quotient.
You can make different burrito combinations with other healthy ingredients, including:
- Scrambled egg burritos with sautéed veggies, leftover chicken, or cheese
- Part-skim ricotta or Greek yogurt with sliced fruits, and crushed nuts
Peanut butter banana baked oatmeal
This no-added-sugar baked oatmeal takes less than 10 minutes of prep time and can be made ahead to save even more time on busy mornings. It’s a healthy way to start your day with filling fiber, healthy fat, and protein. Heat it up in under a minute or eat it cold. Either way, the bananas add natural sweetness that adults and kids will both love.
Brunch-style portobello mushrooms
Portobello mushrooms are earthy, meaty, and wonderfully “stuff-able,” making them the perfect vessel for holding eggs, veggies, cheese, and crumbled bacon. This dish is so savory, you may be tempted to serve it for dinner!
With our easy and tasty recipes, breakfast is sure to become your favorite meal of the day. Whether it’s a quick way to make breakfast on busy mornings or a dish you can make in advance to save precious minutes during your morning rush, these recipes will help you start your day right, every single day.
- The best times to do your Costco shopping, according to workers and members
- There’s no need to give up dessert – these treats are decadent but still healthy
- Costco shoppers share their best ideas for quick and easy meals
- 6 delectable New Year’s Eve desserts that will be the hit of the party
- These easy recipes will give you the traditional Christmas dinner you crave