As a result of TV channels like HGTV and home renovation experts on YouTube, DIY tips are available for any home project that you are willing to take on. It is important to talk about one of the most neglected areas in the house and that is the garage. Garages can be dark, smelly, and full of unwanted junk from the past. However, it doesn’t have to be that way.
Today, painted garage floors are gaining popularity and can be a relatively inexpensive way to brighten up your garage and serve as a great entrance for your household. In this article, we will be discussing the pros and cons of painting your own garage floor.
Pros of painting your garage floor
There are many great reasons to paint your garage floor. It is easy to do and can completely transform your garage.
• Easier to clean and maintain. Painting your garage floor will make your garage much easier to clean. You should be able to keep your painted floor spotless with just a broom and a mop. Also, the pores in concrete tend to harbor dust and dirt that can be tracked into your house on shoes and bare feet. A coating of paint on the garage floor not only makes the surface easier to clean but can act as a shield against mud, grime, grease, and oil stains.
• Protection against mold and mildew. Another great advantage of painting your garage floor is that it will help protect against mold and mildew. When concrete gets wet and then dries, it is common for mineral deposits to be left behind. If the floor is not cleaned, then mold will begin to grow on these mineral deposits. Just like mold inside your home, mold inside the garage can lead to several health risks including asthma attacks, pneumonia, and severe headaches. By coating your garage floor with mold-resistant paint, you can decrease the chances of mold becoming an issue.
• Cleaner, more sophisticated feel. The final advantage of painting your garage floor is the difference in the look and feel of this do-it-all space. Not only will it have a more finished appearance, but a painted floor can brighten the space, as well. Cement flooring has very little reflective ability and is a major reason why garages lack natural light. Bare concrete tends to absorb light while a painted surface tends to reflect it. When you paint your garage floor, the reflective light can actually brighten your space.
Cons of painting your garage floor
Even though painting your garage floor yields many benefits, there are some cons to consider before you tackle this DIY project.
• Expensive and lengthy project. One negative to painting your garage floor is the cost of the materials involved and the time it takes to complete this somewhat lengthy project. For the average two-car garage, it will cost between $300-$400 for the garage paint and painting materials. In addition to this cost, the process for painting a garage floor typically takes three days. The first day will be spent emptying your garage and putting all of its contents in a separate storage area. Make sure this area is secure so your items are protected from the elements and theft.
• Can be slippery when wet. Another con of painting your garage floor is it can become slippery when wet. Remember to always deal with oil spills from cars immediately so you don’t risk injury when walking around in your garage.
Painting your garage floor can yield many great benefits when done properly. It can help keep your garage cleaner, protect you from harmful mold and mildew, and make your garage bright and welcoming. However, the process will take you the majority of a three-day weekend. So, if you are ready to tackle a serious DIY project, painting your garage floor is a great option. As a final note, you could always pay someone $1,000-$3,000 to paint your garage floor for you, but where is the DIY spirit in that?
- DIY advice: Should you build a raised patio on your own?
- DIY remodeling on a budget: Your kitchen
- DIY remodeling on a budget: Your living room
- Painting 101: The best wall-painting techniques everyone should know
- Why painting a floor in your home may be your best decorating move yet