The quality of your bed is the most important factor when it comes to getting a good night’s rest. However, if you’ve been waking up still feeling exhausted after a long night’s sleep, or if you’re just searching for a way to feel a little more comfortable at night, you don’t have to buy one of the best mattresses and start from scratch. You can just buy a new mattress topper.
Mattress toppers aren’t just for college kids on a budget or for the guest room. They can truly transform your mattress and help you sleep better, all without spending as much as you would on a new mattress. In this breakdown, we’ll showcase some of the best mattress toppers you can buy.
If you are looking to save some money, we’ve also found some of the best Black Friday mattress toppers and mattress sales going on right now.
- Best multiuse:
- Best orthopedic foam:
- Best specialized zone support:
- Best eco-friendly design: Saatva Mattress Topper
- Best absorbent/to protect mattress:
- Best motion isolation:
- Best hypoallergenic:
- Best extra-plush:
- Best feather fill:
- Best organic:
If you’re looking for brand recognition in addition to a high-quality mattress topper, Tempur-Pedic’s Tempur-Topper Supreme is likely the first topper you should consider. It features 3 inches of loft, so you’ll want to drift off to sleep as soon as you lay down. It’s made with premium memory foam, so you know you’ll be supported all night long. Support is key when it comes to mattress toppers. While you want a comfortable and soft mattress, you don’t want it so soft that your joints and muscles are left unsupported, leaving you sore and in pain in the morning. And once you fall in love with your memory foam mattress topper, you might want to check out some memory foam pillows, too.
- Filling: Memory foam featuring proprietary Tempur material.
- Who is it for? Great for multiuse: Home, travel, recreational vehicles, dormitories, etc.
The most budget-friendly option on this list, Authentic Comforts has created a mattress topper that targets specific zones in your body to provide comfort and softness where you want it, yet support and firmness where you need it. With a 2-inch loft, this contoured memory foam mattress topper is great for side sleepers specifically, as side sleepers need something that provides softness in the hips and shoulders and firmness around the lower back and legs to provide support to the spine. Most people wake up in the morning feeling sore, not because their mattress is too hard, but because it’s too soft.
- Filling: Premium orthopedic foam, great at reducing stress and joint pressure.
- Who is it for? Bargain hunters, especially side sleepers, or those who need softness in the hips and shoulders and firmness in the lower back and legs.
If you’re intrigued by the idea of a zoned mattress topper and you have a little more money to spend, you may want to check out the 2-inch memory foam topper by Lucid. Sleeping too hot is one of the most common reasons for sleep trouble, and there are few things more frustrating than waking up in the middle of the night tired, sweaty, and unable to go back to sleep. Lucid mitigates that problem by infusing its memory foam with gel, which increases airflow between the mattress topper, your mattress, and you, falling asleep quicker and keeping you asleep longer. This contoured mattress topper also features five zones, giving each part of your body as much focus as the others.
- Filling: Gel-infused memory foam.
- Who is it for? Hot sleepers and those who appreciate zoned support.
The Saatva Mattress Topper offers the choice of three materials, including their graphite-infused cooling memory foam topper, their natural and sustainable Talalay latex topper (which has a cool and breathable hypoallergenic option), and their high-density performance foam option, providing a cushy contouring experience with built-in support where you need it. Throw one of these on a too-firm bed, and it instantly becomes just right. Saatva’s premium materials and superior innovation ensure you’ll soon be sleeping better than ever.
- Filling: Choice of graphite-infused cooling memory foam, Talalay latex, or high-density performance foam.
- Who is it for? Hot sleepers, someone with allergies, or someone who prefers natural materials.
Avocado Green’s Organic Quilted Mattress Protector is ideal for anyone concerned with keeping their mattress in premium shape, such as families with young children or people who like to have their first cup of coffee in bed in the morning. It’s super-absorbent, non-toxic and durable, and made with a 17-inch pocket to fit most standard mattresses. Additionally, Avocado uses only certified organic cotton as well as a supply chain that is both fair trade and vegan (no wool), so you can truly feel good about making this purchase. Get one with a matchingfor a complete look.
- Filling: Sustainably sourced organic cotton fiberfill.
- Who is it for? Anyone who wants to protect their mattress from stains, body oils, accidents, etc.
The marbling on DreamFoam’s 2-inch memory foam mattress topper isn’t just to look fancy (though it does look fancy, too). The blue pattern you see throughout this mattress topper is actually gel. Gel-infused memory foam has become quite common, and that’s a good thing for hot sleepers. This type of memory foam offers all the softness and support you get from memory foam, along with the extra cooling technology and airflow that gel offers. If you want something a little loftier and you’re looking for added comfort, check out DreamFoam’s 3-inch model of its gel-infused memory foam mattress topper, though expect your wallet to get a little lighter.
- Filling: Gel-infused memory foam.
- Who is it for? Hot sleepers and those who like a loftier topper.
If the cushiony softness of the Tempur-Pedic memory foam mattress topper sounded interesting, this might be the mattress topper for you. Down is one of the softest fillings out there, which makes it perfect for stomach sleepers in particular. This is a feather mattress topper, which makes it a little less luxurious than down, but you’re still getting that cloud-like softness. You’ll sink into your mattress, but you won’t be breaking the bank on expensive down. And, since you’re not using this as a pillow but as a mattress topper, you likely won’t notice any major differences. This mattress topper is giving you the down pillow experience, but for your entire body.
- Filling: Resilia feathers, which are processed to stay fluffier and more resilient than other feathers.
- Who is it for? Those who like an evenly-distributed cozy, warm topper.
If you’re interested in protecting the environment and supporting companies that make an effort to use sustainable materials, ExceptionalSheets has a mattress topper you might like. This mattress topper is chiefly made with rayon, but it has elements of bamboo, which is soft, comfortable, and a fast-growing, abundant natural material. The topper is stuffed with down alternative, so this is another tempting option for anyone who loves feather and down. If you’re sensitive or have allergies, the type of fiberfill used in this topper is hypoallergenic and perfect if you’re sensitive to real down.
- Filling: Hypoallergenic down alternative Revoloft Cluster Fiber, designed to mimic the feel of goose or duck down without the poking or allergies from actual feathers.
- Who is it for? Those who prefer environmentally-conscious companies or those with allergies.
If you’re looking for the most authentic down experience while you sleep, Bluestone has the topper for you. With 4 inches of loft and filled with 5% down and 95% duck feathers, this topper has the ability to completely transform your mattress. Also, though you’ll spend more on this topper than most others on this list, the money invested will pay off big time. The only problem? You’ll never want to get out of bed in the morning.
- Filling: 95% duck feathers and 5% down feathers.
- Who is it for? Anyone in need of a softer mattress.
This is the most expensive mattress topper on this list, but for good reason. Pillow-top mattresses are wildly popular because you get the firmness of your mattress combined with the experience of sleeping on a down mattress topper. And, if you think you haven’t heard of Birch, think again — its parent company is Helix, known for having a huge variety of mattresses and a sleep quiz to help you navigate those mattresses. So, you’ve got brand recognition and trust, but you’ve also got an incredibly comfortable, high-quality, natural mattress topper. Birch is named for the birch wool it uses in its products, so you can feel even better knowing you’re purchasing a product that’s made with natural materials.
- Filling: Natural latex and wool fibers.
- Who is it for? People who don’t mind spending a bit more or those who prefer natural materials.
- Satin vs. sheen: What is the best bathroom paint finish?
- These best-selling lockers are a fantastic statement piece for your kid’s room
- 7 TikTok food trends that are actually worth the hype
- An honest review of the airweave mattress advanced
- Everything You Need to Give Your College Room a Deep Clean