If you’re stumped as to how to decorate your porch this fall, then look no further. We’ve found all of the most creative porch-decorating ideas featuring the colors of the season — and then some! Come check out our 55 favorites:
Make the door pop
- Use tall, dried corn stalks and colorful mums and pumpkins to get the warm, welcoming, symmetrical look of Modern Glam’s autumn porch.
- Great for a covered or low-wind porch or patio, this natural falling leaves mobile from The Empress of Dirt looks great in front of a window, door, or solid backdrop.
- Set your porch up with a fun fall welcome sign like the Frugal Farmhouse highlights. Originally from Walmart, it was spray painted black, hung centered above the door, and voila! It fits with its black-and-white theme beautifully!
Pretty up your path
- Line the path to your porch with multicolored pumpkins and mums like kindredvillage illustrates.
Add some accessories
- Use a ladder or two step ladders to create a layered display of fall decor like Home BNC.
- Use your best penmanship for some chalkboard art with a black-and-white theme to welcome all to your porch. Love of Family and Home shows its rendition of this look.
- Turn your pumpkins into DIY flower pots for mums, cabbage plants, or whatever is blooming in your neck of the woods; I Heart Naptime shows you how it’s done.
- Fill an empty watering can with real or silk autumn-colored flowers for a gorgeous addition to your fall porch, shown by On Sutton Place.
- Set up an autumn wheelbarrow, a wooden barrel scene, or an overflowing cart scene for your fall porch.
- Fill some lanterns with mini pumpkins, gourds, autumn leaves, berries, and pine cones instead of lights for a pop of color on your porch, as shown by One Kindesign.
- Use some vintage wood crates to create a rustic setting on your fall porch like this look from the Cozy Old Farmhouse or this one from the Spruce. Paint them or use them as they are. Both ways create a great look!
- Work black cats, rats, bats, crows, owls, or other shadowy, silhouette images into your fall porch theme for a bit of contrast and/or Halloween feel.
- Create a gorgeous candle holder out of white pumpkins (craft pumpkins work fine) using Stephanie Lynn’s instructions.
- If your front porch has a spot for it, why not throw together a fall window box, like the one shown by Oh My Creative.
- Make some brilliant DIY leafy garland with directions from Sincerely, Sara D to add color to every nook of your autumn porch.
- Create your own overflowing cornucopia or bushel basket of fall favorites. Not feeling creative? You can buy one from Overstock for $49. It’s 12″ H x 18″ W x 12″ D.
- Create some vintage milk cans with your selected fall items, using The Honeycomb Home as inspiration.
- Reuse your old plastic candy holders of yesteryear when you spray paint them and create these amazing faux metallic planters from Drab to Fab. Would you rather buy some? Place some of these soft, stuffed pumpkin pillows around the porch; just remember do bring them before it rains or snows.
- Pull together some small wheat bundles or wheat and lavender bundles tied with a bow for an easy DIY light autumn decoration. Follow the Yellow Brick Home has 39 other ways to decorate with wheat, as well.
- Use hay bales to give depth to your autumn porch arrangement, shown in a display by The Farm at Green Village. You can buy 14.5-pound reusable faux hay bales on Amazon for $87 each, with measurements of 38 1/2″ x 22 1/2 x 15 1/2″. Get creative with it!
- Make yourself some painted wood-slice pumpkins like the ones from Kimberly at A Night Owl blog.
Set up some seating
- Spruce up a wicker chair with a cushy throw blanket and sunflower themed pillows just as SettingForFour did.
- Highlighted on HomeBunch, this hanging chair adorned with the perfect fall pillow and surrounded by pumpkins, mums, and candles is a win for any autumn porch evening. Get the hand-woven ivory Luna Star Parchment Hanging Chair at Pier 1 for $240. Dimensions are 33.50″ W x 21.50″ D x 44.50″ H.
- Decorate front porch benches with colorful fall pillows, pumpkins, etc. like HelloAdamsFamily.
- There’s no reason you can’t put out a welcome table and chairs to invite friends onto your porch for a quick bite or cup of tea. City Farmhouse shows how its design fits perfectly with whites, neutrals, and bright fall colors together.
- Prepare a fall picnic on your porch with everyone’s favorite goodies. This works great when you’re having a yard sale of other activity where guests frequently come in and out. Festive centerpieces and cozy throw blankets are key. Be sure everyone gets a plate of snacks one way or another, and most importantly — don’t forget the wine!
- Add an Adirondack chair or two with a simple autumn-colored pillow or throw blanket and some mums for an easy fall look. Katie Bookser shares her ideas on her blog.
- Rocking chairs add a farmhouse feel to your fall porch when paired with the right autumn pillows, crates, centerpieces, etc. Visit HomeEdit.com for the full scoop.
Try a DIY wreath or hanging basket to pretty up your front door (or just buy one)
- Make this Easy DIY Fall Berry Wreath in 15 minutes with instructions from To Simply Inspire.
- You’ll need about 40 ears of Indian corn to make this stunning Indian Corn Wreath from Stone Gable.
- Just use the husks to make this delicate Corn-Husk Wreath from Martha Stewart (she’ll tell you where to get everything).
- If you prefer something nontraditional, check out this gorgeous Fall Metallic Floral Door Wreath from Monica Wants It.
- Savvy Southern Style shows off its original Apple Basket Door Hanger for a fun way to welcome guests with a tasty fall treat.
- Make this happy Scarecrow Straw Hat Wreath, a favorite with the little ones, from Hip2save.
- Welcome guests with whimsical giant wooden tags like Jaime Costiglio makes using her tutorial to create them at 18″ L x 7″ W.
- Adorn your door with this adorable Autumn Angel from Etsy’s RoseArborCrafts. At $27, it’s a great deal! There’s also a set of 4 Autumn Angel Leaf figurines for $20 from Country Door, perfect for fall porchside-table decorating, and a pretty metal wall hanging Autumn Angel, ready to adorn your porch for $19 at Amazon.
- Not feeling up to crafts this season? Check out Williams Sonoma assorted wreaths for sale; they’re all gorgeous, already made, and ranging in price from $55 – $175. Our favorite? This colorful Farmer’s Market Basket for $75.
Get creative painting instead of carving your pumpkins; there are so many ways to do it!
- Play with color to create a striking rustic metallic palette like Taryn Whiteaker shares.
- Get a vintage look with chalk paint following Purely Katie’s tutorial.
- Go for a gingham pattern with Kelly in the City’s guidance.
- For a really unique look, decoupage some fall leaves and flowers like Porch Daydreamer has done.
- Follow the simple instructions on Real Housemoms to make the easiest pumpkins with house numbers yet.
- This Fall Pumpkin Scarecrow is easily made with gourds, pumpkin seeds, felt, ribbon, and other supplies you’re likely to have around the house in the fall. Go to GigglesGalore to find the instructions.
- Not feeling the paint today? Check out these sumptuous velvet pumpkins from Etsy’s YourHeartsContent. A handmade set of four comes in rich, brilliant colors (rust, orange, harvest, and bronze) for $30, with dimensions of 5″ W x 3″ H, plus a 3.5″ stem. These should only be set out on covered porches, of course, or weather pending.
Get a shabby-chic look with a mixture of modern and antique for an eye-popping porch this season. Try these ideas to get you started:
- Clean up an old washboard and adorn with fall decor for a vintage porch this autumn.
- Prefer an antique chair, chest, or old signs from the orchard or pumpkin farm?
- There are lots of great options for this look. Some can be purchased, as well, such as this Home Sweet Home sign from Etsy’s WoodSignStudio. It’s $30, ships free, and you can write the second line yourself. Dimensions are 5.5” H x 24” W.
Make your own fall welcome mats
- Try some DIY fall doormats, like this one from Life is a Party made with leaf stencils or another autumn-inspired option from HGTV.
- Prefer to buy one? Try this cute option from Etsy’s BDHomeCo for $36. Dimensions vary as doormat is available in mini, standard, and large.
Throw down an outdoor rug
- Choose a neutral floor to go with an autumn-inspired porch when you spread out a Valencia Beige Area Rug for $42 from Wayfair. Also available in indigo, gray, and terracotta. Be sure to browse Pier 1’s Smooth Transitions collection to fill in the rest of the decor, as it highlights its fall products.
Shine a light on it
- Play with lighting to create a dazzling display with hanging lights, matching containers, pumpkins, and more. Modern Glam shows a fall porch arrangement with simple strings of white lights left up year-round.
- Fill a basket with gourds, lights, dried leaves, sunflowers, and more to create a sparkly autumn corner on your porch or balcony.
- Let fall paper luminaries shed some light on the subject with this smart DIY tutorial.
- Can you hang lighting fixtures on your porch? If so, give your creative hand a try at Emily Burton’s fall floral chandelier. If you can’t make hers, you can always buy a similar fixture, like the Grace Flower Flushmount from Pottery Barn Kids. It’s $299 with dimensions of 17″ D x 8″ H.
- Ideas for stylish yet practical small-space home offices
- 9 hacks to keep smells out of your washing machine
- How to clean the grossest parts of your bathroom
- 8 things every tiny apartment needs
- Spring & summer porch decorating ideas featuring all the colors of the seasons